This simple dish can be served as an accompaniment to meat and fish, or with brown rice. As well as providing four servings of your 5-a-day, it's loaded with antioxidant nutrients including lycopene and beta-carotene.
The addition of cashew nuts adds a little protein as well as magnesium, which is important for muscle relaxation in the body. The low calorie content makes this a great dish for those trying to lose weight or get a leaner physique.
230 calories per serving
- 1 tbsp coconut or ground nut oil
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 200g okra, cut across into pieces
- 1 fresh green chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- a pinch of ground ginger
- a pinch of ground cumin
- a pinch of ground cinnamon
- 3 fresh curry leaves
- a handful of cashew nuts
- ½ cauliflower, separated into florets
- 400g baby plum tomatoes, cut in half
- a handful of coriander, roughly chopped
- 1 lemon, sliced
- Heat the oil in a medium-sized pan over a medium heat for a minute or so, add the spring onions and garlic, and cook for 5 minutes. Add the okra and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the chilli, ground spices, curry leaves and cashews. After a few seconds add the cauliflower and tomatoes, and turn the heat to low. Simmer gently for 10 minutes until the tomatoes are soft, stirring occasionally – you want the cauliflower to still be crunchy.
- Serve garnished with the coriander and lemon.